With the introduction of the South Australian Public Health Act 2011, Councils are now required to develop and maintain a Regional Public Health Plan that is consistent with the State Public Health Plan and responds to the public health challenges councils face in their local area.
The District Council of Yankalilla joined forces with the other 5 Councils in the Southern & Hills Local Government Association to develop the Regional Public Health and Wellbeing Plan. This plan identifies key partnerships with various agencies. Existing work is already being done in our region and areas where improvement is needed to address any public health deficiencies.
It is important to note that public health does not just relate to the provision of medical services, it also includes things such as:
- strong Environmental Health programs like immunisation services, food safety and effective wastewater management
- provision of infrastructure that allows residents to be physical such as walking paths, playgrounds, recreation facilities and well designed shaded outdoor areas
- have access to healthier food choices and safe drinking water
- to ensure that everyone has access to services that promote health and wellbeing such as mental health services and education.
- Improving community resilience to the impacts of climate change.
Read Council’s Regional Public Health and Wellbeing Plan.
Read Council's Yankalilla Public Health Action Plan.
If you want to know more about the State Government’s Health plan, click here